Document Translations

Document translations

The Department of Social Services (DSS) provides a Free Translating Service to eligible Australian citizens and migrants settling permanently in Australia to have their eligible personal documents translated into English. Some temporary/provisional visa holders may also be eligible for the service depending on their visa type.

The Free Translating Service aims to assist people settling permanently in Australia to participate in the community and supports positive outcomes for newly arrived migrants.

Eligible clients can have eligible personal documents translated into English for free within the first two years of arrival in Australia. This service is not available for translation of documents required for visa applications.

To enquire about the Free Translating Service, contact your local Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) provider.

Adult Migrant English Program providers

Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) service providers assess the eligibility of the applicant and their documents for the Free Translating Service.

To learn more about AMEP or view a list of AMEP service providers in Australia, please visit the Department of Education and Training website or call the Skilling Australia information line on 13 38 73.

More information about the Free Translating Service is available on the Department of Social Services website.

Commercial document translations

TIS National does not provide a commercial document translation service.

If you need to complete a commercial translation, you can search for a qualified translator through the National Accreditation Authority for Translating and Interpreting (NAATI) website.